Can You Use A Torque Wrench With A Torque Multiplier?
When tightening and loosening bolts and nuts of heavy machinery, and vehicles, people always choose the best tool. The torque wrench is the best tool for tightening until dealing with tight spaces.
If you are searching for the right tool to do mechanical work in tight spaces, you should try the torque multiplier. The torque multiplier provides the best mechanical advantages, designed to help people with the tightening and loosening of nuts and bolts.
This article will discuss using a torque wrench with a torque multiplier in detail. So, continue to read!
How To Use The Torque Wrench With A Torque Multiplier?
A torque wrench is a right tool to tighten or loosen nuts. While the torque multiplier is used to increase the torque value that the wrench applies and makes the tightening and loosening of nuts easy.
It is crucial to know how to use a torque multiplier. If you do not use the device correctly, it can lead to fallacy and inaccuracy. But if you use the tool properly, it will make your work 1000 times easier.
The torque multipliers are very easy to use. There are a few simple steps that you should follow. However, to save your time and trouble. We will guide you on how to do that. There are three main types of torque multiplier. The methods of using different types are also different. Let’s discuss how to use each type.
1. Manual Torque Multipliers
- Set wrench based on the torque multiplication factor for the model of torque multiplier you are using.
- Assemble the retaining pin and socket “o” ring. Avoid using an extra-long socket or extension.
- Now is the time to place the multiplier on bolts or nuts and check if the multiplier rotates in the right required angle and direction. Check the wrench’s rotation, and then attach it to the multiplier.
- Tighten it till you hear a click sound.
- Don’t strike the anti-wind-up ratchet.
- Replace the wrench, load the torque wrench reverse the wind-up to release the wind-up ratchet.
Note: Make sure to release the wind up in a controlled way.
2. Electric Torque Multipliers
- Place the tool on a flat surface and insert the reaction arm into the spline.
- Now take the standard socket and place it on the square drive. Slide the rubber safety ring gently over the pin.
- Make sure to examine the connection to the power source. Also, check the position of the multiplier.
- Once the present torque is achieved, the motor will stop working.
3. Pneumatic Torque Multipliers
- Connect multiplier with the air supply and check the airflow. Assemble the socket “o” ring and retaining pin.
- Make sure the tool is running easily and free. Hold the tool steadily, and avoid keeping your hand near the reaction point.
- Tighten until the tool comes to a complete stop. Now is the time to release air pressure.
- Remove the air hose.
How Does A Torque Multiplier Work?
The torque multiplier is generally used instead of cheaters bars. It gives leverage to users to create torque. All three types have different functioning and are mainly designed to facilitate the users. They are very lightweight, that is why everyone can use them easily.
The torque multipliers work with the gear train. The gear train has more than one stage. However, they mainly work with the gears but make a very difficult job easy and manageable. The torque multiplier works very efficiently with nuts and bolts and is convenient for the users.
What Are The Types Of Torque Multipliers?
There are three basic types of Torque multipliers.
- Manual torque multipliers
- Electric torque multipliers
- Pneumatic torque wrench
· Manual Torque Multipliers:
It is a hand-operated tool. Manual torque multipliers are non-electric tools that are very lightweight and portable. It is considered the most suitable tool for job sites without electricity. These torque multipliers will keep tightening until the desired torque is reached. Usually used in heavy-duty fastening applications.
· Electric Torque Multipliers:
As its name suggests, an electric torque multiplier is a power device that works with electricity. This device is generally used for the continuous tightening of nuts and bolts. The best thing about this type of torque multiplier, they are very low maintenance.
· Pneumatic Torque Multipliers:
You can say that this is the upgraded version of electric torque multipliers. This type of pneumatic torque uses compressed air for tightening and loosening nuts and bolts. Comparatively, they work fast and very smoothly.
Why Should You Use A Torque Multiplier?
People usually ask, “why should they use a torque multiplier.” Well, there are some solid reasons to use a torque multiplier. Let’s discuss some of them.
- The main reason for using a torque multiplier is the accuracy. The accuracy rate the torque multiplier provides is insane. It works very smoothly and gently that why there are very low chances of mistakes and errors.
- The tightening job will not require much effort if you use a torque multiplier. The device reduces the physical effort of users, which is usually required for a tightening job.
- It is the safest tool. Tightening and loosening bolts and nuts sometimes damage, but the torque multiplier is safe.
- The planetary design of the torque multiplier makes it 1000 times more convenient than other tightening tools.
- The space limitation of the torque multiplier is amazing.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Is The Difference Between A Torque Wrench And A Torque Multiplier?
The torque wrench consists of a long handle that makes the tightening difficult. What if you want to tighten in tight spaces? Well, here comes the torque multiplier. They can achieve proper torque even in tight spaces. The only thing that is impractical in torque wrench is a space limitation.
2. When Would You Use A Torque Multiplier?
The torque multiplier is a convenient mechanical tool. You can use it when you want to deal with the tightening and loosening of bolts and nuts, especially in tight spaces. They are best for working with big vehicles, machinery, and instruments.
3. How Does A Torque Wrench Multiplier Work?
They work with the gear trains; there are different stages of gear trains. These gear trains help in applying torque properly to the bolts and nuts. They give great accurate results and are mainly used by mechanics and professionals.
4. How Accurate is a Torque Multiplier?
Digital Torque Multipliers are accurate up to ±0.4% full-scale torque and can be used in various capacities, for instance as high as 40,000 ft·lbs (480,000 in·lbs).
This article has discussed a torque multiplier, its use, how to use it, and its basic types. It often becomes difficult to apply the right torque value because of tight space and various other reasons. But with a torque multiplier, you can reach the difficult-to-reach space and tighten the nuts/bolts at the right torque value.
We have briefly described everything about the torque multiplier. We hope the reading has helped you. Thanks for reading!